Read Me!

HELLO

Monday, February 11, 2008

Altered Books




Here in my town there is an Altered Books Art Show on display in several different areas. This project was a combined effort through the Bloomfield Township Public Libairy, The BBAC and Cranbrook School of Art. I went to see the display at the Birmingham, Bloomfield Art Center this evening on my way home from work and I was really impressed with what I saw! The whole Altered Book thing is really working it's way into main stream America. The type of Altered Books I saw tonight were really more like sculptures. Here are some examples of what I am talking about; one artist took pages from a book and balled them up into little puffs (to look like cereal) There was a placemat woven from book pages, on top was a large bowl inside the bowl were all the puffs, and then there was a spoon and a cup.




The Altered Books that I have done are really my own story created on the pages of another book, so these sculptures really intruiged me. I thought I would try my hand at it... I'll have to post the picture after mine is done. In the meantime try doing an online search and see what you can find. Here is a picture of an altered book I already have finished.

Create one of your own soon!

No comments: